Hi, my name is Wolfgang and I am a Web Application Developer from Germany. I was always interested in PC hardware and built nearly all my PCs since the early 90’s by myself. There is also the occasional system for friends, family, or (a server) for work.
The origins of my current system, “Voyager” (all my private computers have host names from Star Trek), trace back to 2012 and featured an air cooled and overclocked Intel Core i7-3770K on a Gigabyte G1.Sniper M3 motherboard with 16GB of RAM and an old GTX 460 stuffed in a plain Antec case.
In 2013, after watching (too much) LinusTechTips and Singularity Computers, I decided to custom water cool my build in a Parvum Systems S1.0 case. I opted for Alphacool NexXxos radiators with NoiseBlocker BlackSilentPro fans, water blocks and reservoir from EK, Monsoon fittings, and a DDC pump. These are all water cooling components and brands I would still choose today, but may go with a D5 pump instead.
The GPU back then was an XFX Radeon HD7870. Sadly, and unknown to me at that time, XFX has a tendency to change the board layout of their graphics cards without changing the part number, and so my water block didn’t fit. A PowerColor HD7870 from eBay saved me and I sold my XFX card as well. And there it was, my very first water cooled build.
After NZXT announced the “H440 – Designed by Razer” in mid 2014, I knew right away that would be my new case! Unfortunately, it took until January 2015 for the case to become available in Germany. With the bigger and better H440 case I changed the two 240mm radiators to one 240mm (top) and a thicker 360mm radiator (front). The GPU also got upgraded to a GTX 980 along with a 34″ UltraWide monitor. Because of its bulky look and the green color scheme I nicknamed my system “The Hulk”.
The current configuration of “Voyager”:
- CASE: NZXT H440 – Designed by Razer
- MOBO: Gigabyte G1.Sniper M3 MicroATX
- CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K overclocked from 3.5GHz to 4.4 GHz (Turbo from 3.9GHz to 4.6GHz)
- RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3
- GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0
- SSD: 256 GB Samsung 830 SSD
- HDD: 2TB Western Digital Green HDD
- PSU: Silverstone SST-ST65F-G
- LED: NZXT Sleeved LED Kit
- KEYS: Razer BlackWidow 2013
- MOUSE: Razer Taipan
- PAD: Razer Goliathus
- SCREEN: LG 34UC87-B 34″ UltraWide
The next stop for “Voyager” might be Skylake or more likely LGA 2011-3. Also, the local storage options could be upgraded. But where are the M.2 drives with black PCB’s? And hardline tubing is pretty en vogue right now… The voyage continues!
We know you pour your blood, sweat, and tears into your rigs and we want to show them off to the world. If you want to share your finished build to hundreds of thousands of builders that make up the NZXT audience, you can do so by sending us your photos and telling us all about it.
Latest posts by NZXT (see all)
- NZXT Expands Its Award-Winning Kraken Series with 360mm X72 - March 6, 2018
- NZXT Introduces the New Kraken M Series with 120mm M22 - March 6, 2018
- #NZXTBUILDS: “Orion” H700i by Sublime Tech - January 23, 2018